Friday, March 16, 2012

Mush Bowls


So what did we eat on this Friday?

Eggs for breakfast. Before, I'd make scrambled eggs, and then put that into a mug so the kids could eat the eggs in the car on the way to school. Well... let me tell you, it is a *pain* to wash out egg mugs after they've been sitting in the van for eight hours. So I decided to switch to Styrofoam cups... Now we just eat and toss. Much easier.

Lunch was... well, I don't know. The kids packed their own lunches. No, I'm not a terrible mother who doesn't care about what her kids are doing. I just figure if all I have in the house is good, healthy food, then it will probably be okay to let them pack whatever they want. So far it's working. If they start abusing this policy, then I'll revise it. 

My lunch was umm... nothing. Tom had hard boiled eggs with his avocado mash.

Dinner was really interesting. I attempted to make salmon cakes. I followed the recipe, but substituted almond flour for the bread crumbs, and... yeah, that doesn't work. My patties fell completely apart, so I had to just mix it all together and act as if I wanted a big pile of mush in my pan. Totally scrumptious.

I served this over some basmati rice. I decided the kids need more carbs, and I'm told rice is the least offensive (when bought organic). So they were over-joyed to see rice in their bowls. (I did not have rice. Neither did Tom.)

So the salmon patties turned into "rice topped with mush" bowls. Regina and Veronica enjoyed it. Amy did not, but ate it anyway. And Elizabeth (who has been super clingy and whiny for the last two days) took one bite, and then spit it out at me.

Sometimes cooking is annoying.

Tom and I really did not want mush bowls, so he went to the grocery store and bought some needed ingredients for cauliflower pizza.  This was much better than the kids' dinner. Thankfully.

Now, I want some chocolate.

2 comments:

  1. Another option for increasing carbs for active and growing children is quinoa. In fact, I would probably say that quinoa is better than rice in many respects, and since it doesn't have much of a noticeable flavor it can be snuck into just about anything; when I am particularly active I will mix it into my veggies or salads. It is also the only grain (well, it's grain-like) that has a complete essential amino acid profile and has a similar glycemic load as basmati (which is slightly higher).

    The thing with kids is that their energy requirements for activity and cell growth is far greater than a sedentary or semi-active adult, so a greater proportion of their dietary needs must come in the form of carbs (there is simply no other way around it). The hard part is finding exactly how much more carbs the kids need, as well as choosing what sources these carbs will be from. You're the mom, so you're going to have to really pay attention to the effects of these foods on your children and adjust accordingly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been lurking on your blog since I saw Tom (your hubby) post it on his FB page weeks ago. My husband and I (and our two little girls) were inspired to start the primal/paleo diet partially b/c of your family!

    I thought I'd share a few recipes that we've really enjoyed so far.

    http://paleodietlifestyle.com/hungarian-beef-goulash/

    http://everydaypaleo.com/2012/02/25/southwestern-frittata/#more-3994

    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/garlic-pulled-pork/#axzz1oIun6Qnt

    http://paleodietlifestyle.com/paleo-spaghetti/

    Anyway, thanks for doing this blog! I check often for updates and enjoy sharing in your journey!
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete