Saturday, May 5, 2012

We're Moving! Any Tips?

Tom and I decided last Saturday that the house we are currently living in just isn't working for us. We live on 20 acres and a huge house sits on it, and while it is beautiful and we are thankful to have such a nice place, it's just too big for me to keep up. It's also very remote. I spend about two hours a day just driving back and forth to school/errands/church etc., and with gas prices what they are... it's just too much. 


So Monday we went to look at a new potential house which is much smaller. It sits on a hill so we can overlook the city (not that there's much to see), so we will be in the city but still feel out of the way. We decided to buy it on the spot. It's perfect for what we need for this stage of our family. It's a bit small, but smaller is easier to clean!  The kitchen is really pretty but has about 1/4 of the storage I have now, so I'm going to have to be creative... being Primal means I cook a lot and use lots of different cooking items, so that'll be a little tricky, but I'm sure we'll figure something out. 


Anyway, after the euphoria of finding the (almost) perfect house began to wear off, it suddenly hit Tom and I that we have less than four weeks to get our current house move-ready. And since we want to sell this house as soon as possible, we've been scrambling to get it on the market... next week hopefully... so I've have no time to post, or cook, or even think. I've sorted the house all ready. I know what needs to be tossed, sold, and given away. Now it's on to cleaning and calling utilities and other such calls... ugh 


In the interest of my new small kitchen: What are some space saving tips you have? And what are the essential cooking items you must have?

5 comments:

  1. My husband and I travel and keep our possessions to a minimum. I get by just fine with only these items 1 large stock pot, 1 large skillet (actually a wok), a metal colander (for steaming & draining), 1 large measuring cup, a set of dry measuring cups, a set of measuring spoons, a large mixing bowl, 1 combo grater, a large chefs knife, a wood cutting board, a can opener, a wine opener, tongs, a whisk, a spatula, a digital thermometer, a bowl scraper, a ladle, a coffee cone, an immersion blender, and a basic set of silverware and dishes. I cook all but maybe two meals a week and am able to do very elaborate stuff with just these items.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should contact Nom Nom Paleo. Recently due to a water leak, she had to box up her home and move the family into a residence apt. In addition to working, being a mom, and still blogging. I am sure she has sound advice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!! Sounds great! Commuting stinks! I have limited counter space in my kitchen, and no pantry, so I keep my pantry items on shelves in the laundry room, and I have a fold out table set up in the kitchen at all times that houses my larger appliances like crock pot, stand mixer, food processor, etc. It takes up space against the wall, but at the same time it makes my main work area much more streamlined. Works for my kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Check out http://www.ikeahackers.net/ for creative ways to customize standard IKEA products to your place. IKEA products can be great for maximizing smaller areas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The tip that I have has nothing to do with food. My tip is that once you move into this house that you never move again. Moving is probably the biggest pain in the butt. If I had the money I would buy a place that would be my home. Alas, I am a renter, so I cannot really lay down roots.

    ReplyDelete