Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to our youngest daughter, Elizabeth!

                                                                             Elizabeth, two years old

She turned two today! My primary goal for today was to find a Primal-friendly cake to make for tonight. I found many interesting look recipes, but all of them wanted anywhere from 1/2 cup to 1.5 cups of maple syrup, agave sugar, or other sugars I've never even heard of. I think that's too much, especially for being in the middle of the Three Week Challenge.

I was really sad thinking she wouldn't have a cake. I know there are all those "but she's so much better for its" and "a bowl of fruit is just as yummy!"  comments, but cake is a tradition and that does count for something. I had decided I would just have to make a coconut mousse and call it cake. Then... I remembered a friend had sent me a link for lemon poppyseed muffin.

Well, I didn't have any poppyseeds, and no time to go buy them, so I thought I'd just make the lemon muffin part and then top with heavy cream a bit of melted dark chocolate. Turned out well!

The recipe does call for 1/2 cup raw honey, but I'm still unclear on if we can have honey during the first three weeks or not, so I cut that down to 1/4 cup, which came out to roughly 8g of (natural) sugar per muffin. Not bad!  And, raw honey is said to help with candida IF taken in moderation. I don't have any sources that can pin that down definitively, but it is such a trivial amount, I felt okay about it.

Here's the recipe (thanks to Elizabeth Imeson!)

  •  Grain Free Lemon Poppyseed Muffins 1/4 cup coconut flour
    4 pastured, local eggs
    1/4 cup local honey of choice
    1/4 cup expeller pressed coconut oil or butter
    1/4 tsp sea salt
    1/4 tsp baking soda
    1 TBL poppy seeds
    1-3 TBL fresh lemon juice (adjust based on how lemony you want the muffins to taste)
    Soften coconut oil or butter and blend all ingredients together in a bowl until smooth.   Bake at 350F for about 10-12 minutes.    Makes about 20 mini muffins.

    find more at www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com

      
    Lemon muffins with a simple ganache and shaved coconut

    Everybody loved them!

2 comments:

  1. Good for you for sticking to the plan through a birthday! There are so many excuses to just cave in, just this once, and then your work for the past couple of weeks is history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, way to stick to it!

    ReplyDelete