Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to our youngest daughter, Elizabeth!

                                                                             Elizabeth, two years old

She turned two today! My primary goal for today was to find a Primal-friendly cake to make for tonight. I found many interesting look recipes, but all of them wanted anywhere from 1/2 cup to 1.5 cups of maple syrup, agave sugar, or other sugars I've never even heard of. I think that's too much, especially for being in the middle of the Three Week Challenge.

I was really sad thinking she wouldn't have a cake. I know there are all those "but she's so much better for its" and "a bowl of fruit is just as yummy!"  comments, but cake is a tradition and that does count for something. I had decided I would just have to make a coconut mousse and call it cake. Then... I remembered a friend had sent me a link for lemon poppyseed muffin.

Well, I didn't have any poppyseeds, and no time to go buy them, so I thought I'd just make the lemon muffin part and then top with heavy cream a bit of melted dark chocolate. Turned out well!

The recipe does call for 1/2 cup raw honey, but I'm still unclear on if we can have honey during the first three weeks or not, so I cut that down to 1/4 cup, which came out to roughly 8g of (natural) sugar per muffin. Not bad!  And, raw honey is said to help with candida IF taken in moderation. I don't have any sources that can pin that down definitively, but it is such a trivial amount, I felt okay about it.

Here's the recipe (thanks to Elizabeth Imeson!)

  •  Grain Free Lemon Poppyseed Muffins 1/4 cup coconut flour
    4 pastured, local eggs
    1/4 cup local honey of choice
    1/4 cup expeller pressed coconut oil or butter
    1/4 tsp sea salt
    1/4 tsp baking soda
    1 TBL poppy seeds
    1-3 TBL fresh lemon juice (adjust based on how lemony you want the muffins to taste)
    Soften coconut oil or butter and blend all ingredients together in a bowl until smooth.   Bake at 350F for about 10-12 minutes.    Makes about 20 mini muffins.

    find more at www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com

      
    Lemon muffins with a simple ganache and shaved coconut

    Everybody loved them!

2 comments:

  1. Good for you for sticking to the plan through a birthday! There are so many excuses to just cave in, just this once, and then your work for the past couple of weeks is history.

    ReplyDelete